Foreclosure Renovation: The Power of Paint

To the previous owners credit, I didn't see how they decorated this hallway so it's possible that they added elements to brighten this midnight blue.

But I did see that they painted over perfectly good preexisting hardwood and laid down a very ugly blue carpet, so it's not likely.
There was a definite reason why this hallway was not included in the real estate listing. Walking through this part of the house felt suffocating. I instinctively kept ducking my head every time I took the steps even though there was more than enough headway. I tried taking pictures with my camera but I could not get enough light. Did I mention that there were absolutely no light fixtures when we bought the house? My little brother was able to temporarily install these cordless light fixtures so that we could work past four in the afternoon.

I got a bit carried away and then remembered that I had to take before pictures.


When my sister and I picked out the wall paint, this was the first place I wanted to paint and it instantly made a difference. This is really just going to be a picture heavy post because there's not much to say about it. The pictures say all that needs to be said.

This was after just one coat of paint on the wall and already the walls seemed to open up. Also, can we talk about how you shouldn't paint your trim that color of blue. I'm all for pushing the boundaries but the color was wrong and standard white semi-gloss trim paint would have maybe given this dark color a modern feel. but that's theoretical and I was too excited to open these walls for any extra experimentation.
The finished product! I love to reflect on this hallway. People always theorize about how lighter colors open a room, but you never feel the difference until you have done it yourself.

Share:

2 comments

  1. It looks beautiful. I would love to know what paints you used brand and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love before and after pics would love to see the whole house if you are all done! :)

    ReplyDelete